A GIS allows the visualization, query, analysis, and interpretation of geographical data to understand spatial relationships, patterns, and trends that enable accurate analysis and important predictions. While RS is a very essential means for spatial information acquisition. GIS has many applications in the NRM and automation thereof is important for large-scale monitoring, administration, and management. The combination of RS and GIS not only ensures an efficient and stable data source but also generates vital information that enables real-time processing, scientific management, and comprehensive analysis of remote sensing information to achieve the purpose of monitoring, forecasting, and decision-making.
Some of the possible use cases are as under:
- Combining artificial intelligence technology like machine learning, deep learning, and automation of various processes of GIS systems can enable time, reliable and accurate information leading to prompt decision making for efficient natural resource monitoring and management.
- Artificial intelligence enables GIS-based monitoring of natural resources and areas which can compare (using Convolutional Neural Network) current period’s satellite images and with earlier corresponding period’s satellite images and prepares reports of change in natural resources. The automation of the whole workflow of analysis and reporting based on satellite images is an important step towards smart and intelligent GIS labs.
- Illegal incidents like encroachment of forest land or river bed and natural incidents like a forest fire can be easily tracked using the latest technologies combining with automation for timely alerts and reports to concerned administrative officials as well as departments.
- Mobile apps are very handy to use this has mass acceptance and when it comes to GIS, mobile apps play an important role in the efficient and effective monitoring, reporting, and managing the natural resources.
- Artificial intelligence is making it possible to detect wild animals in their natural habitat, as well as counting and identifying them. This could greatly boost animal conservation efforts.
Automation is a Torchbearer Leading the Way of Effective and Efficient Natural Resource Management.